In 1998, SeMA instituted the SeMA young Researcher Award in order to promote excellence in original mathematical work with a strong applied component. Since 2013, this award received the name Antonio Valle Young Researcher Award in recognition of the efforts dedicated by Antonio Valle, first president of SeMA, to the promotion of Young researchers in the field of Applied Mathematics.
The award was established in order to provide recognition to a Young researcher, under the age of 33 and working at a Spanish institution that has demonstrated an independent, creative and highly valued activity in the field of Applied Mathematics as a post-doctoral researcher. The prize intends also to contribute to advance its professional career in Applied Mathematics both at the national and international levels.
The award involves 1500 Euros, a diploma, and two years of honorary membership to SeMA
XXVI SeMA “Antonio Valle” Young Researcher Award 2023
The Spanish Society of Applied Mathematics (SeMA), aware of the need to promote the interest of the young generations in the innovation on Applied Mathematics, promotes the XXVI SeMA “Antonio Valle” Young Researcher Award.
The call continues a tradition, usual in both Arts and Sciences, that contributes to increasing the positive role that the recognition by the community plays in the scientific life of researchers, while promoting and stimulating the development of Applied Mathematics in Spain.
1. The Spanish Society of Applied Mathematics (SeMA) announces the SeMA “Antonio Valle” Young Researcher Award, which will be awarded every year.
2. Possible candidates are all Spanish researchers who, at the submission deadline, are not older than 33 years.
In the event of maternity leave, an extension of this age will be applied by one year for each child. In case of leave due to paternity, accident or illness, this age will be extended by a period equal to that of the interruption, rounded upwards for full months.
Researchers of other nationalities who have a permanent position at a Spanish University or Research Center and meet the age requirement may also be candidates. Candidates awarded in previous calls are not eligible for the Prize.
3. The Prize is intended to promote excellence in original mathematical work in all branches of Mathematics that have an applied component. The age limit is intended to ensure that applicants have had time to develop their mathematical creativity independently, after the training stage corresponding to their PhD Thesis. The Award aims to recognize the demonstrated skills and their personal contributions.
4. The merits will be judged by a Scientific Committee of five members, selected by the Executive Council of the Society among researchers of recognized prestige. This Committee will have its own regulations. In any case, it will be chaired by the President of SeMA or a delegated person, and no more than two members of the Executive Council may be members of this Scientific Committee.
5. The applicants must present, within the term that is cited, a report stating their scientific career, a CV, as well as other documents that may be relevant to accredit their original contributions in Mathematics and their applications. Applications can also be submitted by other researchers. The Committee reserves the right to request any additional information from the candidate or from the person who has submitted the application.
6. The person awarded the Prize will receive from the Society an accrediting Diploma and a monetary amount that will be established in each call by the Society.
7. The winner of the Prize undertakes to send to the President of SeMA, within a maximum period of six months from the date of awarding the prize, an original research article or a summary of their research work written in the format of a scientific article, with a minimum length of 15 pages, which may be published in the SeMA Journal after the usual review process.
8. The decision of the contest is irrevocable. The Committee will justify the awarding of the Prize highlighting the most relevant merits of the awarded person. In all other respects, the deliberations and resolutions of the Committee will be governed by its regulations.
PARTICULAR TERMS OF THE 2023 CALL
1. The deadline for submitting applications is March 31, 2023. Therefore, people who were born after March 31, 1989 are eligible.
2. The documentation submitted will consist of the Memory and the curriculum cited in section 5 of the call, together with a copy of the applicant’s five most important contributions to Mathematics and their applications.
3. The documentation must be submitted in electronic format and be addressed to the email:
Subject: SeMA Young Researcher Award 2023
It is recommended to send a link that gives access to a folder, hosted in an online storage service, that contains all the required information.
4. The amount of the Prize is 1500 euros. The Prize is indivisible. In addition, the winner will be exempted from paying the SeMA membership fees for the years 2023 and 2024. In case of not being a member of SeMA, they would become a member of SeMA on January 1, 2023.
5. The Prize will be awarded before May 1, 2023 and will be delivered within the framework of the next Jacques-Louis Lions Spanish-French School on Numerical Simulation in Physics and Engineering, which will be held from July 3 to 7, 2023 in Barcelona. The recipient of the award undertakes to give a 30-minute conference on a topic of their choice.
Previous winners of the SEMA Young Researcher Award
Click here to know the list of previous young researchers awarded with this Prize.